Discover how to use science behind learning to teach pets to enjoy an array of handling procedures.
In the first 2 parts of this series you’ve learned how to greet and approach correctly, provide clear direction, and handle and adjust your technique with skill. In this final lab, Dr. Sophia Yin – veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and author – teaches you how o use desensitization and counterconditioning to help pets enjoy a variety of medical and husbandry procedures. Once you understand general concepts and important points – staying below threshold, awareness of treat choice, clear movement, timing – you’ll be able to adapt to any situation you come across.
- Lab 4: Desensitization and Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures
Master Class Collection:
- Part 1: Handling, Moving, and Restraining Dogs in Stressful Environments
- A Workshop on Essential Exercises with Special Techniques for Medium and Large Dogs
- Part 2: Handling, Moving, and Restraining Small and Medium-sized Dogs with Skill and Ease
- Part 3: Desensitization & Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures (this DVD)
Praise for Desensitization & Counterconditioning: Teaching Dogs to Willingly Accept Medical Procedures:
All information presented can be put into practice right away! …[M]any dogs that come in monthly…loathe nail trims and will fight tooth and nail every visit. This will help me in making my patients more comfortable.
Rebecca Carman, RVT
- Veterinary Technicians
- Veterinarian and Veterinary Technician students
- Shelter staff
- Rescue volunteers.